Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cooking for Sanity


The title of my blog "Cooking For Sanity" is a pretty flashy version of the truth. I'm not teetering on the edge of crazy, life in one hand over the void, and a spatula in the other anchoring me to solid ground. While writing this blog, I thought it might be the control that I crave. But control in cooking is an illusion (the cake that collapses into a depressed looking verison of itself, an over spinkled sprinkle of cayenne).

Maybe it's the creativity, the sense of satisfaction, or one of many other reasons that I'm sure at least dozens of food bloggers on this site have mentioned already. What I do know is that I have an overwhelming compulsion to cook. I work full time, take care of my baby and too many pets. Despite this, I cook daily, except for the occassional night off when I exhuastedly eat a bowl of cereal.

Miraculously, adding the burden of cooking to my complicated life makes me happier. I get a build up of energy in the morning, brainstorm about recipes at lunch, run to the grocery store for ideas to finesse what I've come up with, chopping, boiling, seasoning. And the final, relieving moment when I get to eat something fresh and tasty, not a restaurant dish that tricks you with a healthy headline but is sprayed with oil and salt and other things that make me feel sick for hours after. That moment is a serious high for me.

Although I get the feeling that my family and friends think I'm at least a little bit strange (but they imply it so, so gently), they have all been incredibly supportive and happily eat most of my creations. This blog is a way for me to post both recipes and photos in a place where friends and family can see them. A few have asked and I'm sure a few more don't care, but hopefully it will be fun. Even better, maybe it will help me cook a little less...riiiiight. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment